This past weekend, I celebrated my 40th birthday. While my celebration looks a little different than I had planned (no big trip to the West Coast to see the redwoods 😭), I want to take a moment to celebrate with all of you! I'm also want to impart a few words of wisdom by sharing a few things I wish I knew when I started my business.
Sisters, you’re part of what has made this last decade of my life so amazing. I have worked hard and I have struggled and I have triumphed and I have learned… all because of (and for!) women like you.
Because you’ve believed in me, my expertise, and the light I bring to the world, I have built a thriving all-inclusive mastermind group with hundreds of members. I have coached dozens of women in 1:1 settings. I have shared my knowledge in summits and retreats and conferences reaching thousands of hearts and souls.
I have learned so much and grown so much in this last decade. And as I step into my fourth decade, I know I will continue to learn and grow. I am thankful for the opportunity to be your guide, your coach, your sister friend… and I hope that some of what I’ve learned over the last decade in business (and my previous 39 years on Earth) can help you grow, too.
Messages from our past selves
I recently returned from Inspired Intensive, a more intimate gathering than my usual Inspired Retreat I host each year. Being in those woods again reminded me of the heart and souls who have walked the pathways.
The little lightworkers who have come into the space to dream new dreams and reflect on their journey so far. At each year’s Inspired Retreat, I ask women to write a message to themselves when they first started their business.
What would you say to that girl on day one? What do you want your younger self to know? What wisdom have you learned that you want to impart?
This is a powerful exercise, and it’s always one of my favorite parts of the retreat experience. So, in honor of my 40th birthday, here are 40 messages from myself and dozens of other women who’ve shared their messages with me in the past...
- You were created to bless others with your gifts.
- You were made to do big things!
- You level up each time you face a fear. Say yes no matter what!
- Embrace the unknown.
- It’s about to get really good.
- Girl, get ready — you will change the world!
- Your voice can change the world!
- Keep going. Your hard work unlocks their dreams.
- Your fear is not worthy of your time. Go.
- You are magic.
- Create the life you want to live!
- You add joy to the world.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. Instead, let your light shine and make your own path.
- Don’t be afraid to reinvent yourself. Your boldness will inspire more people than you can imagine.
- Let your light shine!
- Trust and say yes!
- Show your daughters and all little girls what’s possible.
- The world needs you.
- Keep questioning “normal.” You have the answers and truth inside you.
- You’re stronger and more capable than you think.
- Show your work weird.
- You won’t always be right but you will always be enough.
- Your genius is someone else’s weakness. We need each other.
- With perseverance and resilience, anything is possible!
- Shine in your purpose, moment by moment.
- You can change lives, but only when you’re brave.
- Your success is inevitable!
- You don’t have to do it all.
- Expect joy on this journey.
- If the dream is in you, it’s for you.
- You will never please everyone. Do it anyway and trust yourself.
- Don’t give up. It won’t be easy, but it will be worth it. YOU are worth it.
- Please don’t forget YOU are your greatest superpower!
- Follow your heart. You were born for this!
- Fear doesn’t mean you’re doing it wrong. It means you’re doing something brave.
- It’s ok to put your cart before your horse. Just teach your horse to push!
- Just because it always has been doesn’t mean it always to be. Change it, go for it, do it girl!
- Your mess will be your message.
- The path ahead is more amazing!
- Every chapter of this story is exactly how it was supposed to be.
What would YOU tell yourself?
I’m a firm believer in writing notes to ourselves and documenting what we’re experiencing in the moment. Because in a few weeks, months, years, we’ll be in a new season with new successes and struggles. It’s also so powerful to look back and see how far you’ve come, and to celebrate with other women. This video from 2016’s Inspired Retreat brought tears to my eyes!
Thank you for being a part of the Sweet Life Sisterhood. I hope these messages are exactly what you need to hear in this moment!
read comments or leave a comment...